INTERNATIONAL. Starboard Cruise Services has revealed what it calls “a next-level shopping experience” across 7,000sq ft onboard Celebrity Cruises’ newest ship, Celebrity Edge. The stunning vessel is set for her maiden voyage, a seven-night sailing on 9 December from the new Terminal 25 in Port Everglades, Fort Lauderdale.
As reported earlier this week, Starboard pledged to deliver “a custom-crafted selection of brands and experiences curated for guests of Celebrity Edge” in the new environment. Here we bring you images plus a video of the striking new retail space and concepts.
The Celebrity Shops include the following stores:
- To the Edge (Branded Lifestyle)
- The Gem (Fine Jewellery)
- Time Is Now (Timepieces)
- Attraction (Beauty)
- Spirited (Beauty)
- Sense of Self (Fashion Accessories)
- Bulgari Boutique
- Cartier Espace
- Tiffany & Co. Boutique
Among the highlights of the inaugural season is the naming ceremony on 4 December by the ship’s ‘godmother’, Nobel laureate Malala Yousafzai. She will unveil the Malala Fund merchandise collection developed by Starboard with proceeds benefiting her global campaign for girls’ education.
“Being able to design every aspect of this ground-breaking ship has been transformative for the Celebrity brand,” said Celebrity Cruises President and CEO Lisa Lutoff-Perlo. “And having the opportunity to custom-design the innovative Edge retail programme with Starboard undoubtedly contributes to our guests’ ultimate cruise experience.”
“The shopping experience we’ve brought to life for Celebrity Edge is completely in a category of its own,” said Starboard President and CEO Beth Neumann. “From finding your own signature scent to learning the art of watchmaking, guests will enjoy exceptional service and be inspired to see the world in a whole new way.”
Key retail themes
The shops carry brands available for the first time at sea, products designed exclusively for Celebrity Edge and brands that aim to initiate discovery among guests. Themes include:
Modern luxury: Renowned brands such as Bulgari, Cartier and Tiffany aim to underscore the Modern Luxury retail experience. Each has a branded retail space: stand- alone boutiques by Bulgari and Tiffany and a dedicated Cartier Espace.
Purpose: The range was designed to feature brands that “pursue meaning beyond commerce” according to Starboard. These include Malala Fund Collection, supporting Malala Yousafzai’s global campaign for girls’ education; Shinola, the watch brand leading Detroit’s manufacturing renaissance; and environmentally-conscious companies committed to reducing plastic waste, 4Ocean and S’well.
Empowerment: Featured brands such as Kallati Jewelry, Malala Fund Collection, Melissa Odabash, Rae Feather, John Hardy, Veuve Clicquot and S’well are founded, led and/or inspired by dynamic women, noted Starboard.
Environmental sustainability: Featured brands such as 4Ocean and S’well are rooted in sustainability and environmental awareness. The John Hardy fine jewellery brand has founded a campaign to replant bamboo in Bali, where the company is based.
The shops also feature collections created exclusively for Celebrity Edge:
Edge Steel Collection: A limited-edition fashion jewellery collection made from the first cut of steel used to build the ship. Pieces are inspired by elements of the ship’s architecture and design, such as the Magic Carpet, the outdoor movie screen on the Pool Deck and design features in the Solarium.
Kallati Edge Captain’s Collection: A limited-edition fine jewellery collection by Reout Kallati, CEO and designer of the Kallati jewellery brand. The pieces were inspired by the architectural features of Celebrity Edge.
Malala Fund Collection: A special assortment of best-selling books and custom keepsakes inspired by Nobel laureate Malala Yousafzai and her global education campaign for girls’ education. Celebrity will donate 100% of the proceeds to her Malala Fund.
Celebrity Edge Branded Collection: One-of-a-kind exclusive apparel, home and collectable products, designed to mark the launch of Celebrity Edge.
“A sensory shopping journey”
The Celebrity Edge shopping experience is described as a “sensory shopping journey” that draws guests into a series of experiences:
- Feast Your Eyes: Fine jewellery from luxury brands including Bulgari, Cartier, John Hardy, Kallati, Le Vian, Roberto Coin, Stephen Webster and Tiffany & Co.
- Sounds of Time: Timepieces from brands including Bulgari, Cartier, Citizen, Fendi, Gucci, Hublot, Michelle, Shinola and TAG Heuer.
- Scent Soiree: Skincare and fragrances from names such as Chanel, Lancôme, Dior and Estée Lauder, plus new “discovery” brands such as Atelier Cologne and Jo Loves.
- Spirit of Taste: Premium spirits from labels like Bacardi, Belvedere, Crown Royal, Grey Goose, Hennessy, Jack Daniel’s, Johnnie Walker, The Macallan, Patrón Tequila, Veuve Clicquot and Woodford Reserve. Several are offered exclusively on Celebrity Edge.
- Perfect Touch: Leathergoods and accessories from brands such as Coach, Marc Jacobs and Swarovski, plus discovery brands such as Aspinal of London, Rae Feather, Mary Frances, Melissa Odabash and Orlebar Brown.
In another key retail move, Starboard will debut several first-at-sea brand concepts for Celebrity Edge, including the Vintage Watch Collection, limited edition vintage timepieces specially curated by Starboard with renowned brands like Jaeger-LeCoultre, Omega, Patek Philippe, Rolex and Vacheron Constantin; Atelier Cologne, a fragrance house offering exclusive scents and bottles that can be monogrammed; and handbags by Marc Jacobs.
In a move that continues Starboard’s focus on experiences as part of the delivery of the retail offer, the company has also customised an array of exclusive Celebrity Edge retail experiences, including:
- Art/Jewellery Walk with Kallati Edge Captain’s Collection: A guided tour of the ship and the design elements that inspired the limited-edition, numbered jewellery collection.
- Women with Edge: Spotlighting the influential women behind many of Celebrity Edge’s brands. Guests can learn the stories of these accomplished women, from Malala Yousafzai to several notable entrepreneurs.
- Atelier Cologne Consultations: Offering personal consultations with fragrance experts and the opportunity to take home a personalised scent selection.
- Jo Loves Fragrance Tapas Experience: Learning about Jo Loves fragrances in “a fresh, innovative way”.
- Tradition of Time Seminar: An exploration of the history of timepieces, from sundials to smartwatches, along with a brief watchmaking demonstration.
- Sail to Bali with John Hardy: A hands-on workshop where the store is transformed, and guests can feel as if they’ve sailed to Bali, where traditional jewellery-making techniques inspire John Hardy’s designs. The workshop includes the eight-step process used by John Hardy’s own artisans.
Starboard has a long-standing retail partnership with Celebrity Cruises. With the addition of Celebrity Edge, the LVMH-owned concessionaire manages retail operations on ten of the cruise line’s 13 ships.
As reported, by 2020, Starboard will manage over 360,000sq ft of cruise ship retail space worldwide, with more than 750 brands on over 90 ships.
Click here for our recent story on Starboard’s launch of a diverse array of retail stores and experiential concepts onboard Royal Caribbean International’s Symphony of the Seas, the world’s largest cruise ship.
For a recent interview with Beth Neumann on Starboard’s approach to onboard retail and the cruise channel’s potential, see our Online Edition for October.